often times the seemingly mundane can provide a great deal of insight

3.12.2010

death and life: I see flowers


Winter is beginning to die.

This seems to happen at least once a year in Minnesota... There is this season that is both beautifully serene but unforgivably brutal, but if you can survive Winter in Minnesota, you will feel as though you have just escaped death itself... but just barely.  As the snow melts away and you begin to see the signs of beauty and new life that accompany Spring and there is an actual internal transformation that parallels this changing of seasons.  Joy and hope begin to sprout inside of the Minnesotan survivors.. as snow changes from sleet to rain.. and temperatures creep to above freezing.

I used to dislike spring.. and it still might be my least favorite season... though winter is a beast...  but I have learned to appreciate spring greatly.. although it is only after experiencing  a bitter winter that I can truly say I appreciate this season of new life.

I have spent many years in Minnesota and have learned a lot about life by the distinct changing of seasons that exists in this wonderful state.  We honestly have every season as it was intended to be... nothing is held back when it comes to Minnesota seasons.

I think our lives also have seasons, though they are, more often than not, based on situations rather than time.

A funny thing occurs when your season of life mirrors an actual season... I think that a deep understanding can be developed by studying what occurs in nature and drawing connections to what occurs in life. flowers beginning to bloom, grass becoming green again, dirt being washed away.. etc.

I don't really feel like going into details about my life season right now other than I had been in a winter for what seemed like about 2 years, and I am ok being a little vague for the time being... but looking back over the past few months I will say this with a smile and a seed of hope that has taken root.

My winter has been in the process of dying and my spring is on the horizon.