often times the seemingly mundane can provide a great deal of insight

5.18.2010

raindrops and metal: ride the spring showers



Before writing this, I had just got done driving a motorcycle through the rain.

This is something that you typically try to avoid doing, especially if you aren't wearing any rain gear...

As I walked outside and saw the ground covered in water and the small collected pools rippling as rain drops met them I briefly reconsidered driving the motorcycle and just waiting an hour or so until the rain went away...After all, I am sure that the rest of the day will be covered with beautiful rays of sunshine and the air filled with birds singing.

I had never really ridden through the rain though.. I mean, I've had a few drops come down on me.. but nothing like what I was about to experience.

What pushed me more than anything was looking off in the distance and seeing some blue sky breaking through the storm in the direction I was about to travel... I had this picture in my head of driving through a short amount of harsh weather and into the bright and warm paradise awaiting me.

So I rode....

The raindrops turned to razors trying to tear the flesh from my face as I picked up speed... Visibility decreased as the fine mist from the road was picked up by less than cautious drivers... I could feel the collected raindrops filling up my boots as the drops collected together and marched to the rhythm of gravity's tune.... and I rode.

The clouds did not part... the rain did not cease... the sun did not break through.. but still off in the distance remained the blue sky and it's promise of serenity.

I eventually found myself at my destination... rain still falling and blue sky a vague memory.

I did feel pretty BA after arriving.. although I also felt drenched....

Looking back, the ride was worth it in spite of the lack of a blue sky arrival.. or maybe because of it...

You see, often times we have a vision, dream, hope, or blue sky that is off in the distance.. and often times we say that going through the trouble, sacrifice, hard work, or rain is worth it IF it means we end up obtaining this goal... although, often times we fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment