often times the seemingly mundane can provide a great deal of insight

1.20.2010

eastwestern christianity 101


Well.. this entry will be putting an end to what has been my longest writing break for months now. I have been pretty busy though between getting engaged and traveling to India and back.

I am in MN again now and hopefully have some thoughts in my head that are worth sharing with you. I think that I had promised a part 3 to my previous posts... that might still come at some point.. but this is not that point. I'm going to talk a little bit about something else.

What if the "western" process of thinking and understanding is limiting our ability to truly live out a life of devotion to Jesus? That would be a pretty significant thing to find out, if you ask me. What if in our attempt to understand and methodically capture a concrete understanding of faith and God, we have saturated our perspective with an overly structured and limited approach to spirituality and have built ourselves into a cage that is essentially restricting a more complete understanding of the good news and it's intended holistic application?

I think one big issue that christian's in the United States of America face is that faith easily becomes a segmented part of life, and that piece of life has formed into it's own sub-culture. The majority of American christian's are able to clearly draw the line between what is their "faith life" and what is their "______" life. Which seems to go against the whole point of following Christ.

well... that's enough of an entry for me... kinda short. kinda sweet? maybe. I'll write again soon.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. In societies more directly influenced by the Reformation (i.e. the West) we have reduced faith and conversion to personal decision. Consequently, faith in Western society is atomized, only inhabiting individual minds and not embedded in the structures of communities.

    ReplyDelete