often times the seemingly mundane can provide a great deal of insight

12.02.2009

community mold, bonfires, and pianos.



I haven't posted in a bit... Life just got busy and beautiful.

I have been thinking about many things, one of which is how individualistic our society is. I am currently living in a house with three other guys, it is a pretty great setup. We are all quite different, but we all get along well and have been living in this house for almost 2 years now... really?.... wow.

Living this way is a little more complicated, but it is also extremely valuable. I will happily have someone use my detergent if it means I can afford to live in a place that has a washer and dryer. I would much rather deal with doing other peoples dishes if it means that I get to enjoy bonfires in the backyard. I sometimes have to clear out mold specimens from the fridge, but I have a piano in my living room. Yes, there is compromise that goes into an arrangement like this, but it is also an awesome environment to be in.

We live this way for a few reasons... one is that we are all a bit short of cash... kind of poor (obviously not poor in a global perspective, but still). We are all educated and have jobs, but still we have found that it would be tough to get by on our own, and 4 "kind of poor people" can pool their resources together and live in a much nicer place than they could otherwise afford. We get to live in a house, we have a kitchen, a basement, an upstairs, our own rooms, a living room, dining room... and that is awesome.

Also, we have each other. Our "night out" is the current standard of life. whether we are enjoying a bonfire, having a pint at the blue door, watching a movie in the basement, playing music in the living room... we live with our friends in a community.

Also, we are 4 single guys, so this is just a "bachelor pad" and is seen as a socially acceptable living arrangement. People have done this before us and will continue to live this way.

I've been living this way to some extent for the past 6-7 years locally and internationally, and now the thought of being outside a community like this is rather unattractive and foreign.

Granted, 4 single guys living together is looked at differently than other gender and relational dynamics... but is it really all that different of a concept? To live in a community and share life with others in a better environment does not sound like a bad deal at all.. married, single, whatever. I understand that having our own space is important... but do you really need a three level house for just the two of you? Doesn't that feel empty? Wouldn't there be something special about having those empty rooms and quiet hallways filled with a bit more life, and to be able to share with one another and to learn how to live in harmony with each other?

When we learn the value of sharing resources and working through compromise, it has been my experience that we see something beautiful come as a result.

Well, those are just a few thoughts on the topic, this entry wasn't too in depth.. but as usual, I hope it has given you something to ponder. Peace.

3 comments:

  1. i happen to be living in community with two other married couples a baby and a dog. It has been great and i know deep in out hearts we were built to live together. to share and communicate and to grow in the Goodness of our God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I haven't posted in a bit... Life just got busy and beautiful."

    By beautiful, he means girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's a crazy thought to want to live in community, no matter the stage in life you are in. On Thanksgiving morning I woke up surrounded by family cause we all crashed in the livingroom together, and it really reinforced my desire to live in community with people. I commented to my brothers girlfriend that I would like that someday. I said wouldn't it be fun if when you and Ben get married, and when I have a husband (or not) you, ben, mike, bry and I could all live together in one giant house, I think that would be awesome. She looked at me like I had grown three heads. I guess it's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete